Friday, January 11, 2013

January 10,2013 "red morph" Eastern Screech-Owl near Carp.

Late today I received a call on my cell...."Bruce there's a red morph Eastern Screech-Owl at Fitzroy Harbour!" With light fading, I was on the road and quickly phoned home and told Ben to be on the road outside our house because there was a "red morph" Eastern Screech-Owl at Fitzroy.  I arrived at the house and Ben leaped into the car and we headed to Fitzroy. The red morph is very rare in the Ottawa district. I've only seen a couple. The first one I saw was back in the early 70"s. There were a pair of screech-owls at Billings Bridge Woods, one of each colour morph, gray and red. For years the screech-owl was easy to add to your year list. Unfortunately most of the Billings Bridge wood lot was destroyed during the mid to late 80's and the owls left the area. 

As this rare "red morph" owl sat on top of a window frame it wasn't phased about the constant activity surrounding it-snow falling off the roof, opening and closing of doors and  the area being shovelled.  An amazing experience! I'd like to thank Paul LaGasi for the phone call.
Good birding, Bruce




Ben and the Eastern Screech Owl
The red morph Eastern Screech-Owl  \

In eastern Ontario the red morph Eastern Screech-Owl is a rare resident. Most individuals seen are the more common gray morph. 

I  always find it amazing how these owls can locate a hiding spot that compliments their colour! 

No comments: