Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Back from the Sunny South

Left the cold north for a long weekend in Florida to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday and do some birding and photography! On my arrival the first night the low was -4C !!! Not what I expected in the south. Fortunately the conditions improved during my short visit and I was treated to highs of +24C. During my stay from January 22-26 I spent time birding and photographing birds along the Gulf Coast of Florida near Indian Shores. Winter birding in Florida is wonderful both for watching and photography. There are many species including terns, egrets, herons, sandpipers, and other coastal species to view. Most of my time was along the gulf and Honey Moon Island north of Clearwater. I had lots of opportunity to study and photograph numerous species as they fed and resting along the shoreline. For the serious photographer and birder is a haven!

A young Royal Tern begging for food

Good birding,
Bruce

No comments: