Thursday, October 3, 2013

October 3,2013 Birding Lake Deschenes

I spent a couple of hours this morning birding Lake Deschenes from Dick Bell Park. I stationed myself down towards the mouth of the harbour and scanned the lake with my scope. The overall viewing conditions were good  at first but as the winds pick up and the temperature rose it became more difficult to identify water birds at a distance due to the choppy waters and distortion. There had been an obvious increase in northern diving ducks with a flock of 16 White-winged Scoter,  mainly adult males, 22 Greater Scaup, 28 Lesser Scaup, 1 Bufflehead, 3 Common Goldeneye, and 1 Red-breasted Merganser. I  also observed, 1 Common Merganser, 2 American Wigeon, 6 American Black Duck, 2 Mallards and 6 Horned Grebe all out on the lake. Few gulls flew by mainly ring-billed Gull but did record 2 Great Black-backed Gulls. Not much else except for a couple of flocks of Canada Geese. 
Good birding, 
Bruce

No comments: